Consultation for Commercial Properties
Don’t get stuck purchasing a commercial property that you may find is too costly to bring up to code!
In my years as a building official in charge of enforcing the MN State Building Code, I received many calls from business owners who recently purchased a property. The majority of these callers would ask: What am I allowed to do with my building? Other times, business owners would submit plans to be reviewed for a remodel or addition of a recently purchased commercial property. The majority of these plans would not even come close to complying with today’s codes.
Below are a few examples of code issues that may come up on a commercial property:
- Change of use. For example: The building was used for offices. The new owners are proposing a restaurant. What new code requirements will need to be met in order to change the use?
- Are you allowed to expand and if so what code issues may come up?
- Will the building require an automatic fire suppression system?
- Exiting. How many exits will be required for the proposed use?
- Handicap Accessibility. What will be required in an existing building?
- Will an architect or engineer be required for the design of any alterations?
These are just a few examples of what the buyer of a newly purchased commercial property might be faced with when making alterations or changing the use of an existing building. The worst mistake you can make is to assume that you can move ahead with your plans. The building official for the municipality in which the property is located may inform you differently.
If you are in the market for a commercial property, please contact us. We can answer any questions you might have.
For the most part, the building code will allow existing homes to continue their use as long as they meet the code to which they were built. As a homeowner of an older home you may be concerned with items in your home that do not meet the current code. Or maybe you had some work recently done on your home and are questioning if the work complies with today’s code. We are here to help you with any questions you may have on residential building codes. Give us a call, we will be there to help you in any way we can.
Contact Us About Your Inspection Needs
You can ask us anything, request a call back, or check on an available time slot. Whatever you need - just let us know what we can do for you!